We love humous. We eat it all year around, but we seem to eat gallons of it in the summer – it’s so easy to pack along with some veggies to the beach or the park.
The Falmouth store has made it over the years, but we haven’t settled on a go-to recipe/method until just the past few months. When we’ve made it in the past, the taste seemed about right, but the texture left a lot to be desired. So we’ve found two methods to fix the texture issue:
1. A long pre-soak for the chickpeas of at least 24-hours (which has other benefits).
2. Overcooking the chickpeas. Typically, we like chickpeas a bit al dente, especially in salads and soups.
It turns out that overcooking them works best for humous. They break down faster apparently. Other humous experts recommend skinning the chickpeas…. We might have time to skin chickpeas, but we can certainly think of about 500 things we’d rather do with our time than skin chickpeas. We think this version tastes just as delicious without all of that monotonous work…!
The best part about those tricks is that they don’t take any extra effort – just a bit more time in preparation, which is why we like to make a BIG batch at a time. Or we’ll make a huge batch of chickpeas, and then freeze them in four-cup portions to make things extra easy the next time we’re making humous.
- 4 cups over-cooked organic chickpeas
- 1/2 cup tahini *See Offer Below
- 2 small garlic cloves, peeled & smashed
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2-3 green onions
- 1 large lemon, juiced
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp smoked papika
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- Several turns of freshly ground pepper
- 2-4 tbsp reserved chickpea cooking liquid
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, plus more for garnishing
1. Add everything to the bowl of the food processor except the bean cooking liquid and the olive oil. Turn on the processor and let it run for a minute or so until the mixture becomes smooth. Then add about two tablespoons of the cooking liquid, and run it for another 30 seconds – one minute. Taste it. Add additional cooking liquid if necessary, depending on your desired consistency. Then add the olive oil, and process just a bit more.
2. Serve immediately with a drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkling of smoked paprika and chopped parsley on top.
*All ingredients listed can be found in the Falmouth store. The dried chickpeas are stocked at the Helston store in 2 kilo and 5 kilo bags : )